Cargo vessel sank off the Japanese waters



TACLOBAN CITY- The wife of one of the Filipino seafarers on board of a shipping vessel that capsized off the waters of Japan is seeking help from President Rodrigo Duterte and Sen. Christopher ‘Bong’ Go.
Elna Garcia, 41 and mother to three young children and from Naval town, Biliran province, made this appeal saying they are confident that her 40-year old husband, Rex, is still alive and could have survived the mishap.
Her husband is among the 40 crew members of MV Gulf 1 declared as missing since the cargo vessel sank off the coast of Japan last Sept. 2. Three of them have been rescued.
“We are calling to Pres. Duterte and to Sen. Bong Go to help us. It’s frustrating because it appears that there is no effort to find my husband and his 39 companions,” Garcia, in an interview through private message of Facebook, said Sunday night.
“We really miss him, especially our one-year old son. Hope we can have him back this Christmas. We keep on praying that he is still alive,” she added.
The distressed wife is also calling the Japanese government through its Coast Guard not to stop their search operation.
Garcia is also seeking help from China, Taiwan, and South Korea saying that her husband and other crew members of the ill-fated ship could have been carried away to their shores by the storm.
The couple has three children aged 14,13 and one and lives in Naval town in Biliran province.
To recall the MV Gulf 1, a Panamanian registered cargo vessel with 43 crew members who are mostly Filipinos, and bound for Jintang, China, sank off the coast of Japan after reportedly losing an engine after it encountered rough seas caused by a typhoon (international name: Maysak) last September 2.
Garcia said that she only learned that the vessel, carrying 6,000 live cows from New Zealand, where her husband of 16 years was on board met a sea accident through social media.
She recalled that the last time she had a video call with her husband was a day before the incident happened.
“I was expecting him to call the following day as he usually do. We waited for his call the entire day only to learn through social media that the vessel has capsized,” she said.
However, on that day that he called her, he said that they were already experiencing the brunt of the typhoon and in fact, things inside the vessel were in already disarray and his feet was hit by a chair and some of its glasses were shattered due to the strong waves and heavy rains spawned by the typhoon.
It was learned that Rex has been a seafarer since 2012 and boarded the ship anew just last July 23 of this year. (JOEY A. GABIETA)