29.3 C
Tacloban City
August 18, 2026 - Tuesday | 6:50 PM
Home Blog

Eastern Visayas ramps up measles-rubella drive

0
Health workers administer measles-rubella vaccines to young children in Eastern Visayas as the Department of Health seeks to vaccinate 445,961 children aged six to 59 months during the regionwide supplemental immunization campaign. As of Aug. 14, 90,110 children had been vaccinated.

90,110 children so far vaccinated

Health workers administer measles-rubella vaccines to young children in Eastern Visayas as the Department of Health seeks to vaccinate 445,961 children aged six to 59 months during the regionwide supplemental immunization campaign. As of Aug. 14, 90,110 children had been vaccinated.

TACLOBAN CITY — More than 90,000 young children across the region have been vaccinated against measles and rubella in the first four days of a regionwide supplemental immunization campaign, but health authorities are still racing to reach more than 350,000 eligible children before the drive ends on Aug. 28.

The Department of Health (DOH)- Eastern Visayas reported that 90,110 children, or about 31 percent of the region’s target population, had been vaccinated as of Aug. 14, four days after the campaign started on Aug. 10.

The campaign aims to vaccinate 445,961 children aged six to 59 months, regardless of whether they have previously received measles-rubella vaccines.

Eastern Samar recorded the highest coverage in the region at 44.27 percent, with 14,350 of its 32,412 target children vaccinated.

Tacloban City followed with 36.30 percent, or 4,663 of 12,845 children, while Biliran posted 32.09 percent, with 4,014 of 12,510 children vaccinated.

Northern Samar reached 31.83 percent, with 14,360 of its 45,119 target children vaccinated, while Leyte recorded 31.65 percent, with 30,459 of 96,228 children vaccinated.
Southern Leyte had vaccinated 5,916 of its 21,542 target children, or 27.46 percent, followed by Ormoc City at 25.42 percent, with 3,829 of 15,063 children vaccinated.
Samar recorded the lowest coverage in the region at 23.01 percent, with 12,519 of its 54,403 target children vaccinated.

DOH Eastern Visayas Regional Director Exuperia Sabalberino said the campaign seeks to reach all eligible children identified in the government’s master list through the combined efforts of health authorities, local governments and other national agencies.
“We intend to cover all eligible children based on our actual master list. We have partnered with national government agencies and local government units since this requires a whole-of-government approach,” Sabalberino said.

The DOH urged parents and caregivers to bring eligible children to vaccination sites even if they have previously received measles-rubella vaccines.

The supplemental immunization campaign is being conducted to close gaps in routine childhood vaccination and increase population protection against measles and rubella.
Both diseases are highly contagious and can lead to serious complications, disability and death, particularly among young children.

The additional vaccination activities are being carried out in communities, health facilities and other designated sites across Eastern Visayas until Aug. 28.

(JOEY A. GABIETA)

San Jose NHS students get transparent bags to boost security after shooting

0
Students of San Jose National High School display their newly distributed transparent backpacks during Monday’s turnover ceremony. The bags were donated by the Federation of Filipino Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Inc. to strengthen school security following the June 22 shooting that killed three students. (PHOTO BY JOEY A. GABIETA)
Students of San Jose National High School display their newly distributed transparent backpacks during Monday’s turnover ceremony. The bags were donated by the Federation of Filipino Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Inc. to strengthen school security following the June 22 shooting that killed three students. (PHOTO BY JOEY A. GABIETA)

TACLOBAN CITY — Students of San Jose National High School(SJNHS) are now using transparent backpacks as part of strengthened security measures at the school, nearly two months after a shooting that killed three students and injured several others.

The Federation of Filipino Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (FFCCCII) distributed transparent backpacks to about 1,100 students during a turnover ceremony on Monday, Aug. 17, aimed at helping the school speed up inspections and prevent prohibited items from being brought inside the campus.

FFCCCII president Jimmy Yaokasin Jr. said the donation was also intended to help students regain their sense of security following the June 22 shooting.

“The students are still in trauma. Just a big news or unusual movements trigger them. This donation of transparent backpacks is part of our hope to restore their sense of security,” Yaokasin said.

“We want to provide a safe environment for them,” he added.

The business group had earlier donated a walk-through metal detector to the school to further strengthen security at the campus.

With the use of transparent bags, school security personnel can more easily inspect students’ belongings and immediately identify items that may pose a security risk.

Grade 7 student Yannah Kaitlyn Ignacio welcomed the donation, saying the new bags would make inspections at the school gate faster while giving students a greater sense of security.
“Aside from having a fast inspection at the gate, this gives us a sense of security after what happened here in our school,” Ignacio said.

She said her parents had considered transferring her to another school following the shooting, one of the most serious school-based shooting incidents reported in the country.
Salvacion Macale, the school’s acting principal on Monday, thanked the FFCCCII for its continued support.

“It’s really a big help to us as this will give our students, in particular, a sense of security and assurance that no prohibited items could be slipped in by any of the students,” Macale said.

Macale said some students transferred to other schools after the shooting. However, the school has also continued to receive new students, including those from Southern Leyte.
The June 22 shooting left three students dead and several others injured, prompting the school and authorities to tighten security measures and strengthen the inspection of students and their belongings.

The two minors identified in connection with the incident remain under the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). One of them is facing charges of murder and multiple counts of serious physical injuries.

The security measures are being maintained as the school community continues to recover from the incident and work toward restoring a sense of normalcy and safety on campus.

(JOEY A. GABIETA)

DTI urges coconut MSMEs to secure FDA permits to expand markets

0
COCO PRODUCTS. Coconut-based products are showcased during the 2nd Eastern Visayas Regional Coconut Trade Fair at Robinsons Place Marasbaras in Tacloban City. DTI-8 is urging coconut MSMEs to secure FDA permits to improve product compliance and gain access to wider markets. (DTI-Eastern Samar)
COCO PRODUCTS. Coconut-based products are showcased during the 2nd Eastern Visayas Regional Coconut Trade Fair at Robinsons Place Marasbaras in Tacloban City. DTI-8 is urging coconut MSMEs to secure FDA permits to improve product compliance and gain access to wider markets.
(DTI-Eastern Samar)

TACLOBAN CITY — Stricter food safety compliance is opening more market opportunities for coconut-based enterprises in Eastern Visayas, as the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) urges micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to secure the necessary Food and Drug Administration (FDA) permits.

The call was made during the opening of the 2nd Eastern Visayas Regional Coconut Trade Fair at Robinsons Place Marasbaras here where 24 MSMEs assisted by DTI-8 and the Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA)-8 are showcasing coconut-based food and non-food products.

DTI-8 Regional Director Celerina Bato said the number of exhibitors declined from 28 during last year’s inaugural trade fair, mainly because of stricter compliance requirements for food businesses.

“In line with the directives of the DTI regional operations group, all participating food exhibitors are either holders of a valid FDA License to Operate or have an application already in process,” Bato said.

She said the stricter requirements should be viewed as an important step toward improving product quality and protecting consumers rather than as a setback for businesses.
“This heightened compliance standard is a primary reason our exhibitors are lower than last year, but I see this not as a setback but a step forward for quality and consumer safety,” she said.

Bato encouraged coconut MSMEs to secure their FDA authorization, adding that DTI continues to assist businesses in complying with regulatory requirements.
An FDA License to Operate authorizes an establishment to engage in regulated activities involving food and other health-related products. It also helps ensure that products sold to consumers meet food safety standards.

For coconut enterprises, securing an LTO could allow them to participate in more government-supported trade fairs and gain access to larger markets, including major commercial outlets.

PCA-8 Regional Manager Marlon Terado said FDA compliance could help participating enterprises expand their market reach.

“We expect that since our exhibitors here are already FDA-registered, their market will become wider and they will be able to expand,” he said.

The four-day trade fair features a range of value-added coconut products, from food items to non-food products. Organizers are targeting P1.5 million in sales during the event.
Bato said the trade fair forms part of the implementation of the Coconut Farmers and Industry Development Plan under Republic Act No. 11524, which seeks to increase the income and productivity of coconut farmers, promote poverty alleviation and social equity, and modernize the country’s coconut industry through a 50-year development program.
One of the exhibitors is Island’s Best of Guiuan, Eastern Samar, which is showcasing coconut wine, a fermented beverage made from coconut water.

Carmel Amoroto, the company’s sales and marketing specialist, said the beverage has an alcohol content of 13 percent and comes in classic and calamansi variants.
She said coconut wine is different from traditional tuba because it is made from coconut water rather than coconut sap.

Amoroto said the product was developed by her brother, a food technician, and underwent product innovation last year before being introduced to the market this year. Coconut wine is now an addition to the company’s main product, calamansi concentrate.

The 2nd Eastern Visayas Regional Coconut Trade Fair was held from Aug. 13 to 16 at Robinsons Place Marasbaras in Tacloban City.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

Samar LGUs, barangays honored for good governance, environmental programs

0

TACLOBAN CITY — Local governments and barangays across Samar were recognized for their governance performance, environmental initiatives and innovative legislation during the province’s Samar Day celebration led by Gov. Sharee Ann Tan.

The awards highlighted local initiatives in transparency, disaster preparedness, environmental protection, public service delivery and sustainable resource management.
Among those recognized were barangays that passed the 2024 Seal of Good Local Governance for Barangay (SGLGB) assessment of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

The SGLGB recognizes barangays that demonstrate satisfactory performance in financial administration, disaster preparedness, safety, peace and order, as well as at least one essential governance area, including social protection, environmental management or business-friendliness and competitiveness.

The DILG Samar Provincial Operations Office earlier transmitted to Tan the official list of provincial passers for Performance Year 2024 from the province’s second congressional district.

The passers came from Basey, Jiabong, Marabut, Motiong, Paranas, Pinabacdao, San Sebastian, Sta. Rita, Gandara, Matuguinao, Pagsanghan, San Jorge, Sta. Margarita, Sto. Niño and Tarangnan, as well as Catbalogan and Calbayog cities.

Jiabong posted the highest number of passing barangays among the listed municipalities with 34, followed by Basey with 15, Pinabacdao with 10, Paranas with nine, Motiong with eight and Sta. Rita with eight.

Catbalogan City had 14 passing barangays, while Calbayog City had 10.

The DILG said the passing barangays demonstrated their commitment to transparency, accountability, responsiveness and effective delivery of basic services.

Also recognized were the winners of the Provincial Search for the Gawad Galing Kalikasan Awards 2026, which honors outstanding environmental management and sustainability programs of local governments.

Calbayog City won first place for its “From Trash to Triumph” program implemented by the City Solid Waste Management Office under Jannett O. Cabujat, J.D. The city received a rating of 90.67 and a P50,000 prize and plaque.

Paranas placed second for its “Exchange Your Ecobrick Program,” implemented by the Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office under Maria Myla O. Corales. It received a rating of 90.02, a P30,000 prize and a plaque.

Santa Rita placed third with its “Trashcycle” program under MENRO Forester Abraham B. Ibañez. The program received a rating of 83.15, along with a P20,000 prize and plaque.
The Sangguniang Bayan of Daram was also recognized after receiving the Silver Award in the Gawad Galing Lokal na Batas 2026.

The Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Samar unanimously adopted Resolution No. 18-583-26, sponsored by Board Member Beethoven M. Bermejo, recognizing the Daram council for its award-winning legislation.

Daram was cited for enacting Municipal Ordinance No. 23-2024, or the Municipal Fishery Code of Daram, which strengthened the municipality’s management and protection of its fisheries resources.

The ordinance was credited with increasing the number of registered fisherfolk in the municipality from 377 in 2023 to 1,905 in 2025. Fisheries revenue also reached P538,615 in 2025, the highest recorded in four years.

The measure institutionalized marine zoning, fish catch monitoring and red tide surveillance, while strengthening seaborne patrol operations.

The recognitions underscored the efforts of Samar’s local governments and barangays to strengthen governance, protect the environment, improve resource management and deliver better services to their communities.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

P5-M automated greenhouse to boost climate-smart farming in Samar

0
AUTOMATED GREEMHOUSE.USamar officials and Department of Agriculture representatives lead the groundbreaking ceremony for the P5-million automated greenhouse in Barangay San Vicente. The 1,000-square-meter facility will produce sweet pepper and serve as a training and learning center for farmers, agricultural workers and students. (HEART TAN FACEBOOK)
AUTOMATED GREEMHOUSE.USamar officials and Department of Agriculture representatives lead the groundbreaking ceremony for the P5-million automated greenhouse in Barangay San Vicente. The 1,000-square-meter facility will produce sweet pepper and serve as a training and learning center for farmers, agricultural workers and students. (HEART TAN FACEBOOK)

TACLOBAN CITY — Samar is set to expand its use of modern and climate-resilient farming technologies with the construction of a P5-million automated greenhouse that will be used to produce sweet pepper and train farmers in high-value crop production.

The Department of Agriculture Regional(DA) regional office, through its high value crops development program, has started construction of the 1,000-square-meter facility in Barangay San Vicente, Catbalogan City.

The greenhouse is designed to improve the production of capsicum, commonly known as sweet pepper, by providing farmers with a controlled environment and more efficient methods of growing high-value crops.

Samar Gov. Sharee Ann Tan said the facility will serve not only as a production area but also as a learning center where farmers, agricultural workers and students can gain hands-on experience in modern farming technologies.

She said the project demonstrates the province’s commitment to agricultural innovation, increased productivity and expanded opportunities for farmers.

DA Undersecretary for Operations Arrey Perez underscored the importance of cooperation between government and farmers in making agricultural projects successful, particularly as the sector faces challenges brought about by climate change.

The project formally started with a groundbreaking ceremony that included the blessing of the site, laying of a time capsule and ceremonial shoveling of soil.

The event was attended by 2nd District Rep. Reynolds Michael Tan, 1st District Rep. Jimboy Tan, Vice Gov. Arnold Tan, members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Samar, officials and employees of national government agencies and other government representatives.

The automated greenhouse is expected to help promote sustainable agricultural development in the province and encourage more farmers to adopt modern and climate-resilient farming practices.

(ROEL T. AMAZONA)

Maxim expands ride, delivery services to Ormoc City

0
DELIVERY SERVICE. A Maxim delivery rider prepares for a delivery in Ormoc City following the launch of the company’s ride and delivery services in the city. Maxim now offers Bike Delivery, tricycle, and car services through its mobile application. (Photo courtesy of Maxim)
DELIVERY SERVICE. A Maxim delivery rider prepares for a delivery in Ormoc City following the launch of the company’s ride and delivery services in the city. Maxim now offers Bike Delivery, tricycle, and car services through its mobile application. (Photo courtesy of Maxim)

TACLOBAN CITY — Residents can now book affordable rides and delivery services through Maxim following the launch of the company’s operations in Ormoc City.

The platform offers four- and six-seater car rides, bike delivery, and tricycle services through its mobile application. Fares start at P45 for four-seater cars, P55 for six-seater cars, and P10 for bike delivery and trike services.

The launch also opens earning opportunities for local driver-partners, with commissions ranging from 15% to 18% depending on the terms of cooperation. New drivers are offered a zero-commission period upon joining the platform.

“We are excited to bring Maxim’s services to Ormoc and provide residents with an affordable, reliable, and convenient way to travel and send items,” said Donald Maing, head of Maxim Ormoc.

The company said residents can download the Maxim app on Android and iOS devices to access its ride and delivery services.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress