30.6 C
Tacloban City
August 18, 2026 - Tuesday | 2:15 PM
Home Blog Page 1470

3 Calbayog councilors resign; move ‘surprises’ DILG exec

0
Their terms are to end on June 30 yet

TACLOBAN CITY-Three incumbent city councilors of Calbayog City  have tendered their resignations, a move which ‘surprised’ the provincial head of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
The three, Charlie Coñejos, Cesar Sabenecio, and Billy Martirez, have until June 30 but chose to tender their resignations ahead of the constitutionally-mandated end of their terms.
Judy Batulan, provincial DILG director, said that while the act of resignation is a ‘personal decision’, he was still surprised that the three did not wait until June 30.
“I am surprised that they have to tender their resignations when their terms in office are to end in less than a month. But that is their personal decision,” he said in an interview aired over a local radio station in Catbalogan City, the provincial capital.
Among the three councilors, the Leyte Samar Daily Express only managed to contact Coñejos to ask for the reason why he resigned.
“It is for health reasons,” he said, without elaborating.
Coñejos was also the only one among the three councilors to have run but lost during the May 9 elections. The two others were serving out their last terms.
Batulan said that despite of the resignation of the three councilors, the legislative works would not be disrupted considering that the new set of city legislators are to take their positions beginning June 30.
“Even if there will be only two or three councilors, there will still be a quorum,” he said, adding that the resignations will not paralyze the legislative works in Calbayog City.
Incidentally, all 12 elected councilors of the city were from Nacionalista Party. The three resigned councilors belonged to the Liberal Party.
The incoming mayor and vice mayor of the city, Raymund Uy and Rex Daguman, belong to NP and Nationalist People’s Coalition.
Meantime, Batulan also confirmed that the wife of slain mayor Ronaldo Aquino, Marcelina, has also tendered her resignation as village chairman of San Policarpo.
He, however, said that he has no information as to the reason why she also resigned.
Earlier, Aquino’s son, Clarence, who run but lost as vice mayor, said that the family has decided not to run for any elective posts in future elections.

(ROEL T.AMAZONA)

Army commends CHR for Red-related crime probe

0
Incident involves a civilian
TACLOBAN CITY- The Philippine Army in Leyte has welcomed the investigation being conducted by the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) of a killing incident last year reportedly perpetrated by the New People’s Army.
A team from the regional CHR went to the village of Binibihan in Carigara town last Monday (May 30) to start their probe on the killing of one Jesus Sarcilla by alleged NPA members on December 7, 2021.
The said incident was witnessed by the daughter of the victim and was perpetrated by a group of rebels led by Juanito Sellesa who is known also by his alias ‘Ka Tibor.’
Col. Noel Vestuir, the commanding officer of the 802nd Infantry Brigade which is based in Ormoc City, Leyte, said that he welcomes the probe of the CHR involving the killing by the rebels of a civilian saying it was a clear violation of the international humanitarian law (IHL).
“The promotion, adherence, and respect of human rights is the utmost responsibility of every soldier. Thus, assisting the CHR in the implementation of the provisions of IHL and RA 9851 is a sworn duty of individual soldiers so as to protect the life and properties of civilians from a terrorist act of the  Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army—National Democratic Front,” he said in a statement.
RA 9851 penalizes crimes against IHL and other crimes against humanity.
The CHR team, led by Raquel Barastas, said that aside from providing financial assistance, they want that justice will be served to the family and prosecute those behind his killing.
Government forces in the past have criticized the CHR for not conducting its own investigation on atrocities reportedly committed by the insurgents.
Vestuir had earlier said that he is serious in quelling the insurgency problem in Leyte as he called on the civilians to help them by not allowing themselves to be used by the rebels.

DA-8 calls on livestock farmers to register in RSBSA

0
MAASIN CITY-Those who raised farm animals should be listed in the Registry System for Basic Sectors in Agriculture (RSBSA) as basis to avail of the assistance in case anything bad happens to their pets, the information officer of the Department of Agriculture (DA) regional office announced.
“Our assistance to help recover our livestock farmers — livestock raisers or livestock farmers, still they are farmers — is already through the Philippine Crop Insurance Corporation (PCIC),”  Christina Colasito, information officer of DA-8, said in an interview over Kapihan sa PIA Eastern Visayas, Friday, May 27, hosted by Gemma Tabao, Infocen Manager of PIA Leyte.
Colasito made the statement in response to a query on the fate of those who tended hogs and swine but were summarily included in the culling process as part of protocol measures to contain the spread of African Swine Fever (ASF) in the province.
“So, it is still important that every livestock raiser or livestock farmer be included in the RSBSA.  This will serve as guide, as basis, for PCIC to indemnify them, because of this ASF,” Colasito stated.
The concerned hog raiser is advised to simply go to their respective municipal agriculture or veterinary offices, because registration is free and, once registered, he or she will automatically be registered also with the PCIC, Colasito said.
“So the best, sir, for our farmers there in Southern Leyte, kindly tell them to go to the office of the municipal agriculturist or, luckily if there is, the veterinary office in your area, so that you can be guided on how to register and avail of livestock insurance,” Colasito further said
(LDL/MMP/PIA8-Southern Leyte)

Palo Mayor-elect Petilla sees expansion of the town’s   commercial district 

0
TACLOBAN CITY- Palo Mayor-elect Remedios ‘Matin’ Petilla said that she has still more to offer to her constituents reason why decided to make a political comeback.
Petilla earlier made a political leave in 2019 and gave way to her daughter-in-law, France Anne, to run for mayor of the town.
The younger Petilla is the wife of returning Governor Carlos Jericho Petilla.
According to the town mayor-elect, she wants to improve Palo considering it is one of the fastest-growing areas in Leyte with many big investors expected to do business in the future.
For one, the town’s infrastructure needs to adapt to the economic pace of the town, Petilla said.
She added that she plans to expand further the commercial area of the town, especially within the new provincial capitol complex.
Petilla said that prospective investors could be located in this proposed commercial site.
Meantime, the new mayor said that while she will have new projects and programs to be implemented in the next three years, she assured the outgoing town mayor that she will also adopt her good projects.
(LIZBETH ANN A.ABELLA)

Biliran lauds passage of law setting up cultural center, museum

0

TACLOBAN CITY – The passage of a law establishing the Biliran Cultural Center and Museum will help promote the cultural heritage of the country’s fourth-smallest province, a solon said on Friday.
In a Facebook post, Biliran Lone District Rep. Gerardo Espina, Jr. said the House bill for Biliran Cultural Center and Museum has been approved and enacted into law known as Republic Act 11772 “An Act Establishing the Biliran Cultural Center and Museum in the Province of Biliran, Defining Its Purposes and Objectives, and Appropriating Funds Therefor.”
“This piece of legislation will protect and preserve our province’s unique cultural heritage and a legacy that shall be cherished for the years to come,” Espina added.
The establishment of the center in Biliran is among the three laws signed by President Rodrigo R. Duterte on May 25. Other cultural centers and museums are in Kalinga and Misamis Oriental.
Under the law, the cultural center and museum will serve as the institutional medium for the protection, preservation, presentation, and promotion of the cultural, artistic, archaeological, social, historical, religious, and philosophical heritage of Biliran Island, and its people given the richness of their legacies and their relevance to their contemporary and future aspirations.
The provincial government of Biliran must provide the land necessary for the construction or establishment, or both, of the main venue and ancillary offices and facilities of the three cultural centers and museums.
Espina said the center is badly needed in the province since historical artifacts and objects are scattered throughout different towns in their province.
The center is expected to compile the musical notes and lyrics of Biliran traditional songs, ballads, and contemporary music compositions, and to collect samples of musical instruments of Biliran origin; publish and disseminate Biliran literary works, epics, stories, and historical accounts; and compile Biliran literature, film or audio-visual recordings of cultural performances in music, dances, oral literature, and festival celebrations.
The Biliran Cultural Center and Museum is also tasked to gather and document Biliran religious practices and traditions, the background and origin of Biliran fiestas and festivals; and to compile photographs of and showcase Biliran landmarks, historical sites, and scenic views by appropriate exhibits.

Another is to gather specimens of archaeological findings, collect stones, rocks, and other geological materials; and preserve samples of flora and fauna indigenous to the province of Biliran. (PNA)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress