TACLOBAN CITY- The National Maritime Polytechnic (NMP), a government maritime training and research agency located at Brgy. Cabalawan, this city, accommodated as of January 15, 2016 a total of 247 maritime trainees who are either aspirants to become seafarers, active seafarers or maritime instructors and assessors. Out of the total, 204 (83%) took the basic courses such as basic training (BT), proficiency in survival craft and rescue boat other than fast rescue boats (PSCRB), basic training refresher (BTR), basic training updating (BTU) and safety training for boat captain and marine diesel mechanic. The remaining 43 (17%) enrolled in the ratings forming part of engineering watch (RFPEW), medical emergency first aid (MEFA) and training course for instructors (IMO Model Course 6.09) modules.

As of January 15, 165 (67%) have finished their trainings while the other 82 (33%) will finish on 22 January 2016. This is a well-grounded start for the agency since full-swing in training operations started last July 2015 only. It is expected that the number of enrollees will accelerate in the next few months with the opening of more Standards of Training, Certification & Watch keeping for Seafarers (STCW) courses.

In the interim, NMP is addressing the observations raised by the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina) in connection with its application for accreditation of additional 5 courses namely: refresher training for PSCRB, refresher training for advanced firefighting (AFF), refresher training for personal survival technique (PST) and fire prevention and firefighting (FPFF), updating training for personal safety and social responsibility (PSSR) and general operator’s course for global maritime distress signal system (GOC for GMDSS).

In its effort to contribute in providing employment to Filipinos especially the seafarers, NMP continues to upgrade its facilities and provide quality maritime trainings required pursuant to the Standards of Training, Certification, and Watch keeping for Seafarers (STCW) Convention. The NMP encourages those interested to avail of its maritime training programs to visit the NMP Facebook page (facebook.com/nmptrainingcenter) and website www.nmp.gov.ph where all related information on NMP trainings are available. (PR)