Promise to return on December to check progress
TACLOBAN CITY – President Rodrigo Duterte has expressed dissatisfaction over slow housing development project for supertyphoon “Yolanda” survivors, prompting him to order concerned agencies to make significant improvement within a month.
Addressing a throng of local officials and typhoon survivors during the 3rd year anniversary of the monster typhoon at the mass grave site located in Barangay Basper, Mr. Duterte noted the problem of water supply in relocation sites and unoccupied completed houses in the northern part of the city.
“I am not satisfied. In three years, only few families were transferred to their permanent houses. The national offices, the respective departments, they’re only given one month to process the paper and it must be out. I will be coming up with rules that bind everybody, including government corporations,” said Duterte, eliciting applause from the crowd.
The Chief Executive directed Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Michael Dino to closely monitor housing projects and ensure that water supply project is done.
“I have to ask Dino to help. I want to see them in their new homes by December. I will be back in December to check. I ask everybody to kindly cooperate and do not delay government projects. You cut the red tape because I’m disappointed,” Duterte added.
Specifically, the President ordered the National Housing Authority (NHA), Department of Public Works and Highways, and Local Water Utilities Authority to address the basic needs of families in resettlement sites.
Mayor Cristina Romualdez was pleased with the Presidents’ pronouncement.
“I believe that this will be done with the President’s willpower to mobilize all concerned agencies,” the city mayor said.
The NHA reported that out of the 14,000 houses targeted for construction in this city alone, 7,148 have been completed so far, but only 1,564 units have been occupied.
There are nearly 1,000 households that moved to units built by private donors. The pace of transfer heavily relies on the availability of stable water supply, according to the city government.
Earlier, LWUA approved the P159 million water supply plan as a medium-term solution to the water shortage problem at the Tacloban North Resettlement Area.
Concerned officials met on Tuesday (Nov.8) to iron out issues related to project implementation.
Under its original plan, the project will run for six months while waiting for the implementation of the P527 million level 3 Tacloban North Water Supply Project of LWUA and Leyte Metropolitan Water District. (SARWELL Q. MENIANO)