
TACLOBAN CITY — Students of San Jose National High School(SJNHS) are now using transparent backpacks as part of strengthened security measures at the school, nearly two months after a shooting that killed three students and injured several others.
The Federation of Filipino Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Inc. (FFCCCII) distributed transparent backpacks to about 1,100 students during a turnover ceremony on Monday, Aug. 17, aimed at helping the school speed up inspections and prevent prohibited items from being brought inside the campus.
FFCCCII president Jimmy Yaokasin Jr. said the donation was also intended to help students regain their sense of security following the June 22 shooting.
“The students are still in trauma. Just a big news or unusual movements trigger them. This donation of transparent backpacks is part of our hope to restore their sense of security,” Yaokasin said.
“We want to provide a safe environment for them,” he added.
The business group had earlier donated a walk-through metal detector to the school to further strengthen security at the campus.
With the use of transparent bags, school security personnel can more easily inspect students’ belongings and immediately identify items that may pose a security risk.
Grade 7 student Yannah Kaitlyn Ignacio welcomed the donation, saying the new bags would make inspections at the school gate faster while giving students a greater sense of security.
“Aside from having a fast inspection at the gate, this gives us a sense of security after what happened here in our school,” Ignacio said.
She said her parents had considered transferring her to another school following the shooting, one of the most serious school-based shooting incidents reported in the country.
Salvacion Macale, the school’s acting principal on Monday, thanked the FFCCCII for its continued support.
“It’s really a big help to us as this will give our students, in particular, a sense of security and assurance that no prohibited items could be slipped in by any of the students,” Macale said.
Macale said some students transferred to other schools after the shooting. However, the school has also continued to receive new students, including those from Southern Leyte.
The June 22 shooting left three students dead and several others injured, prompting the school and authorities to tighten security measures and strengthen the inspection of students and their belongings.
The two minors identified in connection with the incident remain under the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). One of them is facing charges of murder and multiple counts of serious physical injuries.
The security measures are being maintained as the school community continues to recover from the incident and work toward restoring a sense of normalcy and safety on campus.
(JOEY A. GABIETA)


