Particularly in Calbayog City
By: Joey A. Gabieta
TACLOBAN CITY-Samar Rep. Edgar Mary Sarmiento has sought help from the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) on the series of killing incidents in his district.
According to the Samar lawmaker, the spate of killing incidents, particularly in Calbayog City, is not only affecting the said city but the rest of Samar which could deter on their campaign towards economic development.
In a message he posted on his Facebook account, Sarmiento said that for his district and the rest of Samar province to attain economic progress, it should first have a peaceful environment.
Sarmiento said that he is condemning in ‘strongest terms’ the series of killing incidents that have occurred within his congressional district.
“I condemn in the strongest terms the killings that have taken place in the first district of Samar. We, however, cannot handle this alone. We need the help of our friends from the PNP and the DILG in order for us to achieve a peaceful and progressive Samar,” the lawmaker said on his Facebook post dated August 29.
“I am committed to help address this concern and will continue to call the attention of the authorities until peace and order will be restored. When there is peace, there is progress,” Sarmiento added.
He added: “I have always envisioned a progressive Samar. To attain that progress, we must first ensure (a) sustainable peace and order (situation).”
Since the start of the year, the PNP in Calbayog City has reported of about 28 shooting and killing incidents in Calbayog City.
The spate of killings, which largely remain unsolved and said to have been perpetrated by alleged partisan armed groups, have earned a dubious name of Calbayog as “killbayog.”
Rep. Sarmiento said that he met with DILG acting Secretary Eduardo Año on August 6 during which he ‘pleaded’ for his help to solve the series of killing incidents in the province, notably in the first district.
The Samar solon also said that during a congressional hearing on August 9, he also made the same appeal to Police Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde whom gave him an assurance that he would take ‘immediate action’ on his concerns.
Also, on August 14, Sarmiento also revealed that he also discussed the same matter to Police Regional Director, Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos and ‘reiterated our request to the PNP to put a stop to the perpetrators.
Carlos had earlier vowed to dismantle the proliferation of loose firearms in Calbayog City and nearby areas as a step towards achieving peace and order in these localities. (With reports JENNIFER ALLEGADO-SUMAGANG