24.8 C
Tacloban City
December 01, 2025 - Monday | 4:09 AM
Home Blog Page 28

12-year-old boy injured after being hit by motorcycle in Biliran Town

0

ORMOC CITY– A 12-year-old boy was injured after being accidentally hit by a motorcycle while crossing the road along the Diversion Road in Barangay San Roque, Biliran town, Biliran around 11:25 a.m. on Friday, October 31.

Police identified the victim only as “Indoy,” a resident of Barangay San Isidro in the same municipality.

The motorcycle involved, a black Kawasaki CT 100, was driven by “Lito,” 53, a fisherman and resident of Barangay Mapuyo, Kawayan, Biliran.

According to a report from the Biliran Municipal Police Station (MPS), the motorcycle was traveling from La Paz, Leyte, toward Kawayan, Biliran, when the boy suddenly crossed the road near the Biliran gasoline station, resulting in the collision.

The impact caused the child to sustain abrasions and a wound on his left knee. He was immediately brought to the Biliran rural health unit for treatment.
Police took the driver and the motorcycle into custody at the Biliran MPS for proper investigation and disposition.

(ROBERT DEJON)

PWD woman drowns in backyard lake in Matag-ob town

0

ORMOC CITY– A 45-year-old woman with disability was found lifeless in a lake located at the back of her home in Sitio Amanday, Barangay Sto. Rosario, Matag-ob, Leyte around 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, November 1, in what authorities believe to be an accidental drowning.

Police identified the victim only as “Sally,” a housewife and resident of the area.
According to the Matag-ob Municipal Police Station, the victim was last seen seated in their kitchen at around 8:00 a.m. by her family. Two hours later, her son, identified as “Vince,” discovered her floating face-up in the lake behind their house.

Responding officers, led by Police Major Dennis Clemencio, said the victim’s son had already retrieved her body and brought it inside their home before authorities arrived. The Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO) assisted in the response.

Dr. Maurren Kate Umacob, municipal health officer of Matag-ob, examined the victim and declared her dead at 11:19 a.m. on the same day.

Police said no signs of foul play were found, and the incident is being treated as an accidental drowning. The victim’s remains were brought to a funeral home in Ormoc City for post-mortem examination.

(ROBERT DEJON)

Butcher takes own life after fatally stabbing 90-year-old woman in Northern Samar

0

ORMOC CITY- A 65-year-old butcher ended his life by hanging himself shortly after stabbing a 90-year-old widow to death over an old personal grudge against the victim’s brother on Monday morning, October 27, in Barangay Quirino, District Poblacion, Las Navas, Northern Samar.

Police identified the fatality as alias “Este”, 90, widow, and a resident of the same barangay. The suspect was identified as alias “Nietlo”, 65, married, butcher, and also a resident of Barangay Quirino, District Poblacion.

According to the Las Navas Municipal Police Station, they received a call from a concerned citizen reporting a stabbing incident in the area. Responding officers rushed to the scene, where they found both the victim and the suspect lifeless.

Initial investigation revealed that the suspect had been searching for alias “Zoe”, the victim’s brother, whom he blamed for his earlier arrest on October 24. When he failed to find Zoe, the suspect reportedly turned his anger toward the victim, who was sitting on her balcony, and stabbed her in the chest without provocation using a bladed weapon.

After the attack, the suspect fled and sought refuge at his sister’s nearby house.

Police conducted a hot pursuit operation and located the suspect’s possible hiding place.

While officers were assessing the situation outside the closed house, the suspect’s nephew, alias “Alvin”, informed them that the suspect was on the terrace and had hanged himself.
The responding team entered the premises with the nephew’s permission and found the suspect hanging with a rope around his neck. Officers immediately cut him down and rushed him to the Las Navas Rural Health Unit, but he was declared dead on arrival by Dr. Maria Theresa Saises-Cabrera.

(ROBERT DEJON)

Leyeco II’s ‘Warriors of Light’ bring power and hope to typhoon-hit Southern Leyte

0
TASK FORCE KAPATID. A team from the Leyeco II departs for Sogod, Southern Leyte to help restore the power supply of said typhoon-battered town. Photo shows the team in prayers before they left for Sogod on Friday, Nov. 7. (LEYECO II FACEBOOK)
TASK FORCE KAPATID. A team from the Leyeco II departs for Sogod, Southern Leyte to help restore the power supply of said typhoon-battered town. Photo shows the team in prayers before they left for Sogod on Friday, Nov. 7. (LEYECO II FACEBOOK)

TACLOBAN CITY– In a strong display of unity and public service, the Leyte II Electric Cooperative (Leyeco II) has sent a team of linemen to Southern Leyte to help restore power in communities devastated by Typhoon ‘Tino.’

A contingent of 18 skilled line workers, led by engineer Ronnie Solis, departed on Friday, November 7, 2025, for a 10-day mission in Silago town — one of the hardest-hit areas where power infrastructure was severely damaged when the typhoon made landfall earlier this week.

The deployment is part of Task Force Kapatid, a nationwide initiative under the National Electrification Administration (NEA) that mobilizes electric cooperatives to assist fellow cooperatives affected by natural disasters. The initiative underscores the cooperative movement’s long-standing tradition of solidarity and mutual aid.

Even before joining the mission, Leyeco II’s “Warriors of Light” had been working round-the-clock within their own franchise area, repairing broken lines and restoring electricity to affected households in Tacloban City and nearby towns. Their extension of assistance to Southern Leyte’s electric cooperative (Soleco) highlights their dedication to helping communities beyond their jurisdiction.

“These brave men truly embody the spirit of bayanihan and selfless service. They are modern-day heroes who continue to bring light and hope to disaster-stricken communities,” Leyeco II said in a statement.

The cooperative also expressed appreciation to the linemen’s families for their support and sacrifice, acknowledging that their loved ones’ work often takes them far from home in the name of public service.

Through their courage and expertise, Leyeco II’s “Warriors of Light” continue to prove that in times of disaster, the true strength of the Filipino spirit shines brightest.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

Rep. Acidre urges fairness: ‘Don’t judge Rep. Romualdez without evidence’

0
Tingog Party-list Representative Jude Acidre
Tingog Party-list
Representative Jude Acidre

TACLOBAN CITY — Tingog Party-list Representative Jude Acidre has come to the defense of former House Speaker, Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, saying it is unfair to draw conclusions based solely on speculation and unverified claims.

In an online interview, Acidre, who chairs the House committee on higher and technical education, called for sobriety amid allegations linking Romualdez to alleged irregularities in infrastructure projects, stressing that no credible evidence has yet been presented.

“There is no evidence that directly implicates Martin Romualdez in these controversies,” Acidre said on Friday, Nov.7. “It’s unfair for anyone to be judged based on mere speculation. It’s even possible that he had no knowledge of such matters. We should not make judgments without clear proof.”

The Tingog lawmaker underscored the importance of due process and urged the public to wait for verified findings before making assumptions. He also pointed to Romualdez’s record of public service, citing his leadership and contributions during his stint as Speaker of the House.

“Until there is factual evidence, people should withhold judgment. He has done so much for the country, especially during his time as Speaker,” Acidre added.

Romualdez has been accused of receiving kickbacks from alleged anomalous infrastructure deals. A Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearing earlier featured a testimony from witness Orly Guteza, who claimed to have personally delivered suitcases of cash to Romualdez’s residence in McKinley Hill, Forbes Park, in December 2024.

The former Speaker has categorically denied the accusations, saying the claims were “fabricated and politically motivated.” He clarified that the property mentioned had been undergoing renovation since January 2024, and no other witnesses have come forward to support Guteza’s testimony.

(LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)

EV on high alert as Tropical Storm “Tino” nears

0
STORM PREPARATIONS.Residents of Zone 5, Barangay San Roque, Mayorga, Leyte, are seen securing their homes as part of their preparations for the possible impact of Tropical Storm ‘Tino’. Their community, located along the coast, has been identified as a high-risk area. Local government authorities and police have urged residents to evacuate to safer ground as the storm continues to threaten the region. (ROEL T. AMAZONA)

Evacuations, relief efforts intensified

STORM PREPARATIONS.Residents of Zone 5, Barangay San Roque, Mayorga, Leyte, are seen securing their homes as part of their preparations for the possible impact of Tropical Storm ‘Tino’. Their community, located along the coast, has been identified as a high-risk area. Local government authorities and police have urged residents to evacuate to safer ground as the storm continues to threaten the region. (ROEL T. AMAZONA)

TACLOBAN CITY — Mandatory evacuations were carried out across Eastern Visayas on Monday, November 3, 2025, as local authorities and disaster response teams braced for the impact of Tropical Storm “Tino,” which threatened to bring destructive winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges to the region.

In Tacloban City, Mayor Alfred Romualdez urged residents, especially those in coastal and low-lying areas, to prepare evacuation plans early and heed safety advisories.

“Let the government do its job to monitor and respond to those who are in need of help,” Romualdez said in a press briefing. He assured residents that the city government would work around the clock to safeguard public welfare.

The mayor had earlier issued Executive Order No. 2025-10-65, suspending classes and work in both public and private institutions from November 3 to 4, and enforcing a temporary liquor ban to maintain order during the storm response.

In Leyte, Governor Carlos Jericho ‘Icot’ Petilla placed the entire province under red alert status and likewise suspended work and classes until Tuesday, November 4, as a precautionary measure.

As of November 2, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in the region had prepositioned 121,331 family food packs, 20,664 non-food items, 18,473 ready-to-eat food boxes, and 4,950 bottled water supplies across strategic locations in the region for rapid deployment.

“These are readily available for augmentation to requesting local government units,” the agency said in a statement.

The Police Regional Office 8 (PRO-8), led by Brigadier General Jason Capoy, also heightened its disaster readiness and mobilized personnel for possible rescue and relief operations.

“Let us all be careful. We must get through the night ready to deploy for search and rescue operations if needed. Make sure all communication lines are charged and open,” Capoy reminded police personnel in a statement.

He added that more than 1,800 members of the Reactionary Standby Support Force (RSSF) were on alert, with Women and Children Protection Desk officers deployed to evacuation centers to ensure the safety of evacuees.

The PRO-8 reported 2,757 evacuation centers across the region, with 108 currently occupied by 4,060 families—or 14,423 individuals—mostly from Southern Leyte, Biliran, and Ormoc City. Real-time monitoring of water levels, flood-prone areas, and road conditions continued, with all major roads and bridges still passable as of late evening.
In Guiuan, Eastern Samar—expected to bear the brunt of the storm—local authorities enforced mandatory evacuations and designated public buildings such as Sirungan han Guiuan, the Eastern Samar State University (ESSU)-Guiuan Campus, and St. Mary’s Academy classrooms as evacuation sites.

“The time to evacuate is now, while weather conditions are still favorable and safe for movement,” the Guiuan local government said in an advisory ahead of Tino’s expected landfall late Monday or early Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Philippine Coast Guard reported three cancelled ship trips in San Ricardo and Liloan ports, leaving 489 passengers and 176 vehicles stranded in ports across Southern Leyte and Northern Samar.

The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Region 8 readied more than 800 field personnel and over 100 heavy equipment units to assist in road-clearing and rescue operations once the storm passes.

In Maasin City, the Diocese of Maasin opened the doors of Saint Joseph College to accommodate evacuees from nearby barangays. Monsignor Oscar Cadayona, the school president and vicar-general, said church institutions stand ready to assist displaced families.

The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Southern Leyte Chapter also mobilized volunteers and equipment and joined a virtual pre-disaster conference with its national headquarters and the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC).

Meanwhile, the 14th Infantry Battalion under Lieutenant Colonel Esmeraldo Sumalinog placed its disaster response units on standby in coordination with local MDRRMOs and police stations in Southern Leyte and Leyte.

“Our Avenger troops are fully ready to assist our local counterparts. We are working closely with LGUs to make sure communities are safe and informed,” Sumalinog said, emphasizing that the welfare of residents remains their top priority.

RONALD O. REYES

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress