24.7 C
Tacloban City
August 31, 2025 - Sunday | 12:08 PM
Home Blog Page 1747

RTR Medical Foundation donates farm tractors to Leyte town

0

TACLOBAN CITY- The Dona Remedios Trinidad Romualdez (RTR) Medical Foundation has donated two farm tractors to the municipal government of Albuera, Leyte.
The donation of the equipment was held last April 14 and was accepted personally by Mayor Ramon de la Cerna who said that the equipment would be of big use to the farmers of the town which also suffered extensive damage of its agriculture sector due to Yolanda.
Ana Margarita Honteveros of the RTR Medical Foundation represented Benjamin Philip Romualdez during the simple turn over rites of the equipment held outside the municipal hall graced by town and barangay officials and several farmers, the intended beneficiaries of the equipment.
The Albuera mayor said that the donation of the two farm tractors was “very timely” considering that the farmers are now in the midst of land preparation.
Aside from palay, planting of sugarcane is also among the principal livelihood of the people of Albuera. However, this sector was also affected by Yolanda.
The tractors would help the farmers in the cultivation of their farmlands and plant vegetables, for example, as their alternative source of income.
de la Cerna said that all farmers of the town, particularly those who suffered losses due to Yolanda, can use the tractors for free.
The municipal government, he said, would shoulder the gasoline expenses and even lend a driver.
It was learned that Mayor de la Cerna made a personal request before the RTR Medical Foundation for the tractors which are guaranteed to help the farmers of the town. (JOEY A. GABIETA)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Yolanda aftermath Red Cross conduct careful study before giving OK to project proposal, Gordon said

0
Philippine Red Cross chairman Richard Gordon reports to media the extent of assistance they gave for the recovery and rehabilitation efforts in Yolanda-stricken areas in Leyte and Samar, while assuring the relief goods distribution will continue if necessary. (EI NAZARENO-BALLESTEROS)
Philippine Red Cross chairman Richard Gordon reports to media the extent of assistance they gave for the recovery and rehabilitation efforts in Yolanda-stricken areas in Leyte and Samar, while assuring the relief goods distribution will continue if necessary.      (EI NAZARENO-BALLESTEROS)
Philippine Red Cross chairman Richard Gordon reports to media the extent of assistance they gave for the recovery and rehabilitation efforts in Yolanda-stricken areas in Leyte and Samar, while assuring the relief goods distribution will continue if necessary.
(EI NAZARENO-BALLESTEROS)

TACLOBAN CITY- Whenever the name Philippine Red Cross is mentioned, what immediately gets into people’s mind is unselective extension of assistance including financing of projects.
This, however, was clarified by PRC chairman Richard “Dick” Gordon and secretary-general Gwendolyn Pang who both underscored that the PRC carefully study first a proposed undertaking before giving their approval.
One of these is the proposal made by Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources(BFAR) national director Asis Perez for the financing of freezers for the fisherfolks in Samar gravely affected by supertyphoon Yolanda in November last year.
Although Gordon gave special time to listen to Asis who made a video presentation on the damage sustained by the fishermen and the efforts they are undertaking to help them, he did not gave a categorical statement whether they will provide assistance to fishing sector.
Asis was designated by Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala early last month as his point man to oversee the rehabilitation efforts of their department in the region.
Pang stressed that PRC is very careful in doing things and study well so that it can really give the right help to those who need it. The PRC give focus on shelter, livelihood, health, education and disaster risk reduction as their contribution in helping Yolanda survivors.
As of now PRC is currently working in ten locations namely Leyte, Samar, Eastern Samar, Ormoc, Cebu, Palawan, Aklan, Iloilo, Capiz and Antique.
Gordon emphasized that more funds are needed by the PRC to achieve the goals set in the rehabilitation efforts, while continually providing relief assistance whenever necessary.
He said that the PRC contributes about 25 percent to the total recovery effort in the country, making it a key player in the rebuilding attempts in all Yolanda-affected areas.
For now, the PRC targets to build 150,000 typhoon-resistant permanent houses for Yolanda survivors who totally lost their homes. The funds available for now, however, are good to complete 100,000 homes, Pang added.
On health, the PRC is set to repair, rehabilitate or even build new health facilities adding that they are very keen in supporting hospitals, especially the rural health units in far-flung areas.
The agency is likewise working on the completion of 400 classrooms in affected areas in Leyte.  (EILEEN NAZARENO-BALLESTEROS)

Korean group start training on heavy equipment operation, language teaching

0

PALO, Leyte- Aside from conducting repair of damaged public structures due to supertyphoon Yolanda, the Korean soldiers will also now conduct teaching of their language and training on how to operate heavy equipment.
This was revealed by Colonel Chun Won Lee, head of the Korean Araw Force Contingent, whose group is based in this town.
The Korean contingent is among the foreign groups that assisted the country in the aftermath of Yolanda and is to stay until the end of this year.
Since their arrival in Leyte, the group has rehabilitated the Leyte Provincial Hospital and various schools in the province.
Lee said that the training on heavy equipment operation will be in partnership with the Technical Education Skills Development Authority (TESDA) that will provide the theoretical knowledge while practicum or the actual training will be handled by them.
The skills training will last for six weeks, three weeks for theory and three weeks for the practicum.
Initially, 48 students will attend the heavy equipment training with each of them to receive P100 daily as a stipend, Lee said.
There will be 12 batches for the heavy equipment training with trainees coming from the towns of Tolosa, Tanauan and Palo and from the city of Tacloban.
Upon completion, they will be given a certificate by TESDA which they used in looking for job not only in the country but also abroad.
Col. Lee also explained that the reason why they offered such training is that some local government units have heavy equipment but they lack trained personnel to handle them.
As for the training of Korean language, which is being held at the Pawing Elementary School in Palo, Lee explained that those with knowledge or knows how to speak their language have advantage to find jobs in their country.
“Korean government favors more those who speak and understand our language,” said Col Lee.
Lee said that they want to help typhoon survivors to have the knowledge and skills that could help them land jobs for them to earn money. (ROEL T.AMAZONA)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

DENR sign agreement for the management and protection of watershed in Samar town

0

TACLOBAN CITY- The regional office of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-8) entered a memorandum of agreement with the local government unit of Paranas in Samar for the management and conservation of the Ulot Watershed Model Forest (UWMF).
DENR Regional Executive Director Leonardo Sibbaluca said that he and Paranas Mayor Felix Babalcon signed the agreement that would help on the protection and conservation of the UWMF biodiversity and forest resources as well as development and management of ecotourism and other sustainable development activities in the area.
Aside from Paranas, the UWMF covers the municipalities of Taft and Can-avid in Eastern Samar; San Jose de Buan, and Hinabangan, all in Samar covering a total area of 86,514 hectares.
It is one of the eight watersheds covered by the Samar Island Natural Park (SINP) and is considered to be the remaining forest frontier of Region 8.
“Protecting and conserving the remaining resources of the Samar Island Natural Park and the Ulot Watershed Model Forest is a big challenge for us. We at the DENR cannot do it alone; that is why we are seeking the help of the different stakeholders to help us protect and conserve this biologically and globally significant natural heritage”, Sibbaluca stressed.
He said that several projects are being implemented for the UWMF which include, among others, the ongoing ecotourism development projects; the International Model Forest Network Funded Project dubbed as “Forest Landscape Restoration”; reforestation and establishment of tree plantations using the funds generated from the trees cut by the Millennium Challenge Corporation road development project; the forest development project funded by the German International Cooperation which is already approved in principle and community based forest management project activities regularly funded by the DENR.
Mayor Babalcon in an interview said that he is committed to work with the DENR for an extensive campaign on forest protection and law enforcement to deter illegal loggers and charcoal makers from their destructive activities.
“We are looking at the implementation of livelihood projects as part of the solution to forest destruction. We will also tie up with schools offering forestry courses for our scholarship program as we encourage our constituents to let their children take forestry course so that in the future they will help in the management of their own forest”, Babalcon said. (RESTITUTO A. CAYUBIT)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Roxas distributes financial aids to Leyte areas hit by Yolanda

0

PALO, Leyte- Secretary Mar Roxas of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) visited Leyte to distribute checks to areas hit by supertyphoon Yolanda.
During his visit on April 11 and 12, Roxas distributed a total amount of P801.80 million to 35 areas in Leyte which sustained damages due to Yolanda.
And among the recipients was Tacloban with its mayor, Alfred Romualdez, personally receiving the financial assistance.
Roxas said that Tacloban received P230.87 million which is about 80 percent of the total amount that he distributed.
Tacloban is considered to be the “ground zero” of Yolanda’s wrath.
The DILG Secretary stressed that the financial assistance should be used by the local governments for the repair of their city or municipal hall; civic centers; public markets and key public infrastructures.
According to Roxas in Leyte, out of 40 municipalities hit by Yolanda 35 received checks while the five others will be directly assisted by foreign agencies.
A total of 19 mayors or their representatives received their checks in Palo and others received it in Baybay and Ormoc cities.
The assistance, according to Roxas, is part of the national government’s Recovery Assistance on Yolanda (RAY) to cities and municipalities in Leyte and other areas that sustained damages due to the supertyphoon that hit the Visayas on November 8, 2013.
Roxas requested the local chief executives present during the distribution of checks to buy products from their localities and employ local laborers so that the money will circulate within their areas and help in the process revive their economies.
Roxas also emphasized that the LGU has the option whether they will handle the construction work or bid them out.
He then requested the mayors to construct their structures that could withstand a supertyphoon as much as possible. (LIZBETH ANN ABELLA).

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Roxas to Romualdez: P200 million for Tacloban rehab

0
ASSISTANCE. Interior Secretary Mar Roxas hands over a check of more than P230 million to Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez representing a portion of national assistance for the rehabilitation of public structures destroyed by Yolanda in the city on April 10. Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla(left) witnesses the turn over of check in a simple ceremony in Palo town. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)
ASSISTANCE. Interior  Secretary Mar Roxas hands over a check  of more than P230 million to Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez representing  a portion of national assistance for the rehabilitation of public structures destroyed by Yolanda in the city on April 10. Leyte   Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla(left) witnesses the turn over of check  in a simple ceremony in Palo town.(LITO A. BAGUNAS)
ASSISTANCE. Interior Secretary Mar Roxas hands over a check of more than P230 million to Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez representing a portion of national assistance for the rehabilitation of public structures destroyed by Yolanda in the city on April 10. Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla(left) witnesses the turn over of check in a simple ceremony in Palo town. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)

TACLOBAN CITY- The administration of President Aquino, after all, care this city whose mayor, Alfred Romualdez, belong to a rival political family.
Out of the P800 million of the government’s Reconstruction Assistance on Yolanda (RAY), Tacloban was given an allocation of P230.68 million.
The financial assistance was received by City Mayor Alfred Romualdez from Interior Secretary Mar Roxas on April 10.
Romualdez and Roxas had figured a much-publicized word war earlier as the former accused the latter calling for him to resign amid the chaos brought by supertyphoon Yolanda.
The two later made peace during Romualdez appearance at the Senate.
The financial assistance received by Romualdez from the national government will be used to repair the City Hall (P146.09 m); public market (P68.43 m) and the astrodome (P16.15 m).
“This is a big help to Tacloban, especially that the city is the regional center, and we are very thankful here,” Romualdez said, referring to the financial assistance he received from the national government.
“I am happy it is given to local government units, to handle the funds; that is where we are going to see good governance. I am happy the Secretary is doing that,” Romualdez added.
Aside from Tacloban, 18 mayors in Leyte whose areas were ravaged by Yolanda also received their financial assistance from the national government.
During the hand-over of checks, Roxas maintained “nobody will be left behind” in the government’s rehabilitation program, adding that he is passing now the responsibility to the local government units to manage the funds.
“We have our memorandum of agreement on this. The money will be put in a trust fund, not to be mixed with LGU fund, and be drawn with corresponding accomplishment, authorization from the local council. We are expecting that you are going to do it right,” Roxas said.
Only 35 of the 40 typhoon-affected local government units in Leyte will get the aid from the national government as five of them will be directly funded by international funding agencies.
According to DILG regional director Pedro Noval Jr., local government units in Eastern Visayas submitted project proposals worth P938 million in all for the repair of the provincial capitol, municipal or city halls, public markets and civic centers, which were all “keenly evaluated then approved by DILG.”
Meantime, Romualdez said that aside from the repair of some public structures owned by the city government, putting back the lives of the people into normalcy remains his priority.
“My priority is the lives of the people. It would be difficult that after five months, there will still be people living in tents, it would be difficult like what happened in Zamboanga (after the Moro rebels siege last year),” Romualdez said in an interview.
He said that for the 14,000 families who lost their homes and identified to be relocated, the city government need to purchase about 70 hectares of land aside from the construction of their permanent houses.
“Hindi naman natin yan makukuha overnight , for a year or two or even up to three years , basta maumpisahan lang. (We understand we are not going to get it overnight, for a year or even up to three years, yet what is important is as long as we are going to start it).”
Romualdez said that they need funds for additional land purchase and its site development. (Ronald O. Reyes)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress