29.8 C
Tacloban City
August 17, 2026 - Monday | 10:33 AM
Home Blog Page 1493

Gov. Petilla appeals to DOH for more vaccine supplies

0
VACCINATION ROLLOUT. Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla is seeking for more vaccine supplies from the national government as the number of people in the province who have been vaccinated is just around 10 percent from its target population. Photo shows the governor with Leyte-Leyte Mayor Arnold James Ysidoro during a rollout of vaccine in the said town . (GINA P. GEREZ)

With just less than 10 percent vaccinated Leyteños

VACCINATION ROLLOUT. Leyte Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla is seeking for more vaccine supplies from the national government as the number of people in the province who have been vaccinated is just around 10 percent from its target population. Photo shows the governor with Leyte-Leyte Mayor Arnold James Ysidoro during a rollout of vaccine in the said town . (GINA P. GEREZ)

TACLOBAN CITY – After almost seven months of vaccination campaign here in Leyte, less than 10 percent of the target population have so far received the jabs.
And with this low number of vaccinated persons, Governor Leopoldo Dominico Petilla is calling the national government through the Department of Health (DOH) for more supplies of vaccines against coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
He also urged local government units to fast track their vaccination campaign for Leyte to achieve its own herd immunity before the end of this year.
Based on the report of the Provincial Health Office (PHO) provided to the Provincial Inter-Agency Task Force chaired by Petilla, Leyte has only achieved 9.89 percent of its vaccination campaign as of Wednesday (Sept.1).
The 9.89 percent represents 107,043 people from the 40 towns of the province and the city of Baybay. The cities of Tacloban and Ormoc are not included being independent administratively from the provincial government.
Leyte has so far received 162,426 doses of vaccines from the DOH.
It was learned that for Leyte to achieve herd immunity, at least 70 percent or 1,082,094 out of its more than 1.54 million population need to be vaccinated.
“If we will hurry, we can do the first and second dose to the remaining 900,000 Leyteños in two months. We can do that based on the capacity that we have seen and then whatever vaccine is sent to us, we can do that,” Petilla said.
The governor also said that a freezer procured by the provincial government to be used in storing the Pfizer vaccines had already arrived in the province with a freezer used to store for Moderna vaccines arrived last July.
The PHO keeps the freezers for these vaccines.
Gov. Petilla said that the freezer for Moderna vaccines has the capacity to store more than 150,000 doses while freezer for Pfizer can store more than 200,000 doses.
With these freezers, Petilla hope that the national government will provide more vaccines to the province to fast track its inoculation campaign against coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Further, with the cases of Delta variants reported in in the region, the Leyte governor said that the government should consider putting up genome center in other areas like in the Visayas to fasttrack sequencing process in determining presence of variants of concern.
Petilla said that in the present situation, it will take several weeks to a month before a COVID-19 patients learn if they are infected with a particular variant.
“I hope na madagdagan nila ang laboratory, if they really want to pursue na maging… ano bang tawag dyan, parang halos labas kaagad ang resulta ng Delta, hindi yung maghihintay ka ng isang buwan or several weeks bago mo malaman, nakarecover na ang pasyente,” Petilla said.
In Leyte province, two cases of Delta variants were reported by the Department of Health (DOH), one is in Hilongos town, an OFW who is currently under isolation in Metro Manila, while the other is a pregnant women from Hindang who is currently under isolation in the facility of the municipality.
Leyte province based on the data from the Department of Health Eastern Visayas has a total of 14, 893 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of August 30.
Of which, a total of 14, 073 had already recovered, 696 are active cases with 124 recorded death.
Of the recorded cases 1,973 or 13.25% were mild cases, 329 or 2.21% moderate cases, 129 or .86% were severe cases, and 21 or .14% were critical.

Catarman imposes restrictions for the town fiesta

0

CATARMAN, Northern Samar- The province’s capital town, Catarman, will have its fiesta restrictions as imposed in Resolution No. 27 by the Municipal Inter-Agency Task Force against COVID-19.
Catarman will be celebrating this year’s annual town fiesta on August 28 and 29 in honor of Our Lady of Annunciation but due to the current surge of confirmed positive cases, the local IATF found it proper to impose restrictions in the movement of people.
As stated, fiesta celebration is limited to family members, those residing within the poblacion are encouraged to prepare foods only for a simple family gathering.
Religious activity will be allowed, however it will be limited to 50% venue and seating capacity enforcing minimum health protocols and QR code usage. No religious procession will be allowed, only motorcade.
The resolution also stated that persons aged 20 years old and below and adults 60 years old and above are not allowed to go out of their residences except for accessing essential services, needing immediate medical attention and those fully vaccinated.
From August 27 to 29, it is prohibited to sell and buy liquor and or drinking in public places.
Accordingly, all these efforts are geared towards prevention of any possible transmission and spread of COVID-19 without prejudice to the traditional significance of the occassion. (NBQ/ADiaz/PIA-8/Northern Samar)

Southern Leyte LGUs sign resolution to protect the Sogod Bay and improve catch of fishermen  

0

SOGOD, Southern Leyte – The provincial government of Southern Leyte and local government units located along Sogod Bay expressed their support to the resolution that endorses the Philippine Fisheries and Coastal Resiliency Project or Fishcore Project.
The provincial government and the municipal governments of San Ricardo, Pintuyan, Liloan, Libagon, Sogod, Bontoc, Tomas Oppus, Malitbog, Padre Burgos, and Limasawa, including the municipality of Macrohon and the city of Maasin, joined the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) in adapting a resolution to express their support for the realization of the project.
The resolution is to be forwarded to Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR), and the Regional Development Council, among others.
The project intends to improve the management of fishery resources and enhance the value of fisheries production to coastal communities, and help revitalize a better ecosystem services and engaging and motivating the community to fulfill stewardship for the fishery resource bases.
“We’re not focusing only on a simply livelihood but this one is gearing on the enterprise development,” Juan Albaladejo, BFAR regional director, said.
On the first year of the project implementation, the private public partnership component of the project will start which includes putting up investment on establishing fish cages, while on the second year will focus on setting up multi-fish hatchery, pit mill, and post-harvest facilities like an ice plant, according to Albaladejo.
“Our investors will come in to invest to the mari-culture development of the agri-fisheries business corridor and at the same time, the fisherfolks will be trained to become farmworkers with decent salary and incentives,” Albaladejo added.
The project which will be funded under a loan at World Bank worth $200 million with counterpart from the national government through BFAR worth P1.341 billion, P357.18 million from the private sector and P123.07 million from the beneficiary group.
The project will be implemented in seven years starting in 2023 and projected to benefit 547,000 fisherfolks, to include those coming from Regions six and 9.
Southern Leyte Governor Damian Mercado lauded the effort saying that they are also into preserving their marine resources to help their local fishermen.
He disclosed that his administration is implementing projects to help increase the fish population in their sea water like putting up provincial hatchery.
“This project will help in ensuring that more fishes will thrive in Sogod Bay helping to increase the catch of our fishermen resulting for them to have more income,” Mercado added.
Southern Leyte Rep.Roger Mercado, who was also a signatoree of the resolution, also urged local government officials and residents along Sogod Bay to support the program.
“The fund for this project is a huge amount, I hope that this will not on waste because if this becomes successful this will generate good benefit to our fisherfolks,” Mercado said.
“Our government ultimate goal is to help beneficiaries of projects to improve their living condition. Once they improve this result to the development of their barangay, their municipality or city, then our province. If we can do this we will be contributing to our over-all development of our country’s economy,” he added. (ROEL T. AMAZONA)

EV officials support possible VP bid of Pres. Duterte

0

TACLOBAN CITY- Some officials in the region have  expressed their support on the decision of President Rodrigo Duterte to run for Vice President in next year’s elections.
Both Governors Ben Evardone of Eastern Samar and Reynolds Michael Tan of Samar said that their decision to support the purported vice presidential run of Duterte would mean continuity of the programs and services implemented under his administration.
“We fully support it.We need continuity to pursue all the development in our region, in particular, and the whole country in general (and) we need a leader who is firm and has compassion during this pandemic,” Evardone said.
Gov. Tan echoed the sentiment of his Eastern Samar counterpart adding that it was under his administration that some major problems besetting the country are sincerely addressed like insurgency and illegal drugs problem.
For Northern Samar Rep. Paul Daza, who belongs to the opposition Liberal Party, the President could run for any position under the country’s democratic system.
“PRRD running for Vice President is note expressly prohibited by the Constitution, what is prohibited is for him to run for reelection. It’s no different when mayor runs for vice mayor,” he said.
“At the end of the day, if voters want continuity, they have the option to vote for him. If people disagrees, vote for someone else. That’s democracy, Philippine style,” Daza added. (JOEY A. GABIETA)

Mayor Romualdez vows to support youths who undergo work internship program

0
Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez graced the JobStart program held last August 24 attended by 100 youths who have availed of said work internship program. (TCIO)
Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romualdez graced the JobStart program held last August 24 attended by 100
youths who have availed of said work internship program. (TCIO)

TACLOBAN CITY- The Public Employment Service Office (PESO) together with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) regional office conducted an orientation for the beneficiaries of this year’s program implementation.
Around 100 youths, aged 18 to 24-year-olds, attended the said orientation on Tuesday (August 24) wherein Mayor Alfred Romualdez gracing the said activity.
The city mayor vowed to support all the programs that will uplift the welfare of the citizenry.
The JobStart program consists of four phases that include client registration, and client assessment, 10 days of life skills training as well as technical training and internship both with a maximum period of three months.
Due to the current COVID19 situation, said beneficiaries will undergo LST via online beginning August 31 to September 13, as confirmed by PESO. (TACLOBAN CITY INFORMATION OFFICE)

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress