CATARMAN, Northern Samar- A scarf intended to protect a one-year old boy from the scorching sun became the source of his untimely death.
The freak accident involving ‘Prince’ took place in Barangay Rawis, Laoang town at about 1:40 pm on Sunday (December 2).
Based on police report, the boy was seated in between her mother, Lorna Stephanie Nueva, 25, and his grandmother, Rosita Tejano, 46, who was driving the motorcycle they were on board.
The passengers were on their way home to Barangay Sumoroy, Palapag town, after seeking a medical checkup for the boy who was ill at that time in Catarman.
The mother placed a scarf on the head of the child to cover him from the scorching heat of the sun.
But while they were cruising along Brgy. Rawis,45 kilometers away from this town, the draping part of the scarf got entangled at the rear wheel of the motorcycle which tightened on the child’s neck.
This resulted for the child’s head to be decapitated.
Witnesses said the incident happened too fast that the mother was not able to save her child.
The baby’s cadaver was brought to the Rural Health Unit in Laoang for post mortem examination.
PO2 Elizar Diu, case investigator of the Laoang municipal police station, the mother and grandmother of the child were in a state of shock and could not completely explain the incident.
In 2016, Lorna’s eight-year old daughter died after she was drowned in a river at their village.