ORMOC CITY– An internet installer lost his life after accidentally coming into contact with a live wire from the local electric cooperative in Barangay Agutay, Maripipi, Biliran, on Tuesday (Feb. 27).

The victim was identified as Jayson Montino, 29, single, who worked as a laborer/installer for Isla Net Fiber and resided in Brgy. Panjobjoban 2, Almagro, Samar.

Local police, led by Police Staff Sergeant Michael Roque Puno, responded to reports of an electrocution incident at the scene.

According to initial investigations and eyewitness accounts, the victim and his team were in the process of installing a 12-core fiber wire in the vicinity of the barangay.

The victim was using a company-issued aluminum retractable stick to elevate the fiber wire for installation. Tragically, the retractable stick accidentally made contact with the live wire of the Maripipi Multipurpose Cooperative (MMPC), resulting in electrocution.

Two companions of the victim, identified as Romo and Monares, both 23, heard the victim’s cries and rushed to his aid.

They found the victim trembling while still holding the aluminum retractable stick and lying on the grassy area at the site of the incident. The companions immediately called for a rescue vehicle.

Upon arrival, Dr. Mary Grace Llever from the Maripipi Rural Health Unit pronounced the victim dead at the scene due to cardiac arrest secondary to electrocution caused by high voltage wire.

The victim’s remains were transferred to a local funeral parlor for post-mortem examination before being transported back to his hometown of Almagro.