Just for two days alone
TACLOBAN CITY- Over 140 new cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were recorded by the Department of Health here in the region over the weekend.
The DOH also reported four deaths on the same period involving three senior citizens and one 17 -year old.
With the continuing increase of COVID-19 cases of the region, the DOH once again renewed its call for the public to strictly follow all the mandatory health protocols.
“We are (again) appealing to our people to strictly observe all the mandatory protocols like the wearing of face mask and face shield and social distancing,”Jelyn Malibago, information officer of the DOH, said.
The 144 new cases of COVID-19 cases of the region monitored over the weekend, 79 of them were reported by the DOH last Saturday (April 24) and 65 on Sunday (April 25).
Of the new cases, Leyte province posted the highest cases with 64 followed by Southern Leyte with 41.
Biliran meantime has 20 new cases, Samar- with 13 and Northern Samar with six.
Only the province of Eastern Samar did not post any new cases.
On Monday (April 26), the region logged 13 new cases of COVID-19, raising the region’s total cases to 17,693 since the pandemic started March of last year.
Meantime, the new four deaths involved an 81-year old woman from Burauen town, Leyte who died on April 21; a 65-year old man from Tacloban City who died on April 23;and a 66-year old woman from Almeria, Biliran who succumbed on April 24.
A 17-year old woman from Palapag, Northern Samar died due to COVID-19 complications last April 20.
The total deaths of the region now stand at 270.
As this developed, the Sogod District Hospital in Sogod, Southern Leyte shut down its operations beginning Sunday.
This will give way for the management of the hospital to conduct an ‘extensive disinfection’ after two of its patients were confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19.
Dr. Lyn Cadavos, administrative officer of the hospital, said that they have yet to decide when they will reopen their facility as she appealed to those who visited the place from April 21 to April 25 to conduct self-isolation for any possible sign or symptom of the infection.