TACLOBAN CITY – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has allocated more than P374 million to Northern Samar to be distributed to families affected by the shearline that hit the province in November of last year.
Each of the 123,133 families would receive P3,040, the DSWD said.
And since Jan.19, about 13,418 of the identified beneficiaries have received the cash assistance, it said.
To recall, last November, the province of Northern Samar experienced its worst flood in almost 50 years due to shearline.
Aside from Northern Samar, the DSWD also extended assistance to earthquake and flood victims in Region 12 (SOCCSKSARGEN), and Region 13 (Caraga).
The DSWD has earmarked P537 million for this cash aid, says Assistant Secretary Romel Lopez, the agency’s spokesperson.
Lopez said that the simultaneous emergency cash transfer (ECT) payout in Samar and Mindanao is in line with the directive of Sec. Rex Gatchalian to ensure that all families affected by disasters are able to immediately recover and start their lives anew.
“The Secretary’s directive is anchored on the goal of the Marcos administration to leave no one behind in times of disasters and other emergencies,” the DSWD spokesperson said in a statement Sunday (Jan. 28).
“Overall, the DSWD has allotted P537 million for the families from the affected towns in Northern Samar, Sarangani, and Surigao Del Sur of which P167.9 million has already been disbursed during the simultaneous payout,” Lopez pointed out.
“Our field offices will continue to conduct payout activities, in coordination with concerned local government units (LGUs), until all families have been served,” the DSWD official said.
(LIZBETH ANN A ABELLA)