TACLOBAN CITY– Eight persons were injured during the Christmas and New Year celebrations in the region.
Jelyn Lopez, the regional information officer of the Department of Health (DOH), said that this year’s cases of firecracker-related injuries were higher by 60 percent compared to the same period of last year which had only five cases.
“The increase is not alarming. Although our cases are 60% higher than last year, we are one of the regions with fireworks-related injuries,” she said.
It was learned that Friday (Jan.6) was the last day of monitoring and reporting of the DOH on firecracker-related injuries. The period of monitoring started on Dec.22, 2022.
According to Lopez, the increase in cases could be attributed to the lesser restrictions and increased gatherings this year.
Lopez said that despite of the increased cases, the region did not record any death related to the revelries.
Based on their monitoring, the eight cases were from Tanauan, Hilongos, all in Leyte; Zumarraga, Catubig, and Catbalogan City, all in Samar; Pambujan and Catubig in Northern Samar; and Oras, Eastern Samar.
The DOH said that the oldest blast victim was from Catbalogan City involving a 45-year-old man whose right index finger had to be amputated after the ‘kwitis’ exploded while he was to throw it.
The youngest, meantime, involved a 10-year-old boy from Zumarraga town whose right eye was hit by a ‘lantaka’, an improvised cannon.
(JOEY A. GABIETA/LIZBETH ANN A. ABELLA)