TACLOBAN CITY-About 38 private schools in the region have sought for tuition fee increase for the incoming school year.
However, only 20 of these schools have been given approval by the regional office of the Department of Education (DepEd), said its information officer Jasmin Calzeta.
According to her, the remaining 18 schools have failed to comply some needed requirements reason why their applications have yet to be approved by the DepEd.
Calzeta said that all the 20 schools sought for a 10 percent increase of their tuition fees for kindergarten up to senior high.
There are 301 private elementary and secondary schools, to include those offering senior high, operating across the region.
Calzeta said that 70 percent of the increase should go to the salaries and benefits of their teachers while the remaining 30 percent should be used to improve their facilities and for ROI (return on investment).
She added that of the 20 schools that were given approval to increase their tuition fees for school year 2018-2019, three are in Tacloban City, namely, Tacloban Vocational Christian School, Sacred Heart College and St. Therese Educational Foundation of Tacloban; three from Northern Samar- Catarman Elementary School Foundation, Pearl Island Academy Foundation and St. Michael Academy; three in Leyte, were St. Joseph of Dagami, Dagami town; Assumption Academy of Tanauan and Holy Child Parish School of Isabel, Isabel town.
Also, four schools in Southern Leyte are to increase their tuition fees, Holy Rosary of Hinunangan, Hinunangan town; Hinundayan Catholic Institute, Hinundayan; Saint Ignatius Loyola Academy, Liloan and St. Joseph College in Maasin City.
Four are in Samar- St. Michael High School and MSH School Academy of Basey, Samar College in Catbalogan City, and La Milagrosa Academy in Calbayog City.
Three schools are in Eastern Samar, namely, St.Mary Academy of Guiuan, Guiuan and Holy Cross of Oras, and Our Lady Fatima Academy in General MacArthur.
“These schools were able to comply all the needed requirements reason why their applications for tuition fee increase was approved,” Calzeta said.
Among these requirements are a parent-teacher association (PTA) resolution indicating the proposed tuition fee increase; proof of notice received by the parents; proof of confirmation on the tuition fee increase by the parents; certification that there was consultation relative to the proposed tuition fee increase; and a financial statement showing the financial status of the school.