The Capul Island Lighthouse(at the foreground), now fully restored, is expected to be the one of the main tourist attractions of Capul in Northern Samar. The Spanish-era structure was rehabilitated by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines
(Photo:Capul Tourism Office)

CAPUL, Northern Samar- After more than a year of restoration works, the Spanish-era lighthouse of this town is now in full use as it now serves among the town’s main tourist attractions.
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) has officially turned over the Capul Island Lighthouse, as the structure is officially called, to the municipal government on October 24 during a simple rites.
NHCP financed the repair of the Capul Lighthouse at a cost of more than P25 million.
The Capul Lighthouse, which was intended to serve vessels during that time, was declared as a national historical landmark on September 29, 2013.
The Capul Lighthouse is one of the few surviving lighthouses in the country which was built in October 1893 under the supervision of the late Francisco Perez Munoz.
It was first lighted in December 1896 while the station was still partially completed. However, its construction was suspended a month before in November of same year at the onset of the Philippine revolution.
But on same year the pavilion was finished during the American era.
The Capul Lighthouse, located in Titoog Point, Barangay San Luis, was declared by the provincial government of Northern Samar during the administration of Governor and now congressman, Raul Daza as a provincial historical landmark in October 2008.
The municipal government envisions the Capul Lighthouse to be among its biggest tourism draw.
Present during the turn-over were NHCP executive director Luduvico Badoy, former governor Madeleine Mendoza-Ong, town officials led Vice Mayor Joselito Catucod, and Lt. Paterno Belarmino, Jr., Coast Guard commander for Northern Samar.