ORMOC CITY-A junk shop was turned to ashes when an egg tray used as a mosquito repellent was left unattended causing a conflagration at about 10 pm on Dec. 27 along Maharlika Highway, in Purok-1, Barangay New Mahayag in Catbalogan City.

Lt. Col. Douglas Antonio Eloja, city police director, said that they received a cellular phone call that a fire was in progress in Barangay New Mahayag involving a junk shop at about 10:15 pm.

Initial investigation revealed that the said fire incident emanated from a burned egg tray used as mosquito repellant which was left unattended by a helper at the junk shop owned by Lilibeth Macaraig.

The fire spread quickly due to the various cartons inside the junkshop.
The damage due to the fire was placed at P100,000.

It was declared under control at about 10:30 pm. (ROBERT DEJON)