TACLOBAN CITY – The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources(BFAR) in the region has turned over P3.2 million worth of deep-sea net or ‘lambaklad’ and fish aggregating device (FAD) or ‘payao’ to four fisherfolks associations in Leyte and Northern Samar provinces.
The granting of the assistance to the fishermen was made through the special area for agricultural development (SAAD) phase II program of BFAR under its food production and livelihood component.
The Monbon Fish Dealers and Vendors Association in Palapag, the Lapinig Fisherfolk Association, and the Baybay SAAD Fisherfolk Association of Gamay, in Northern Samar, and the Union Fishermen’s Association of Mayorga, Leyte were the recipients of the deep-sea device.
Each of these associations received four units of payao worth P200,00.
Through this project, fisherfolks are projected to boost the income of each association by up to 50%, promising a substantial positive impact on their lives and the local economy.
The fisherfolk associations have devised an equitable income-sharing scheme where 60% of the earnings will be divided equally among the members, while the remaining 40% will be allocated towards the overall development of their respective associations.
Eglecerio Comora Jr., president of the group, expressed hope and optimism for the future among fishermen, especially who are part of their association.
“We are hopeful that through this project, there will come a time that we will become a direct fish supplier throughout the municipality of Mayorga, Leyte,” he said.
His association has been furnished with a comprehensive set of resources including lambaklad nets, a 30-footer fiberglass boat complete with complete accessories, a 16 HP Marine engine, and a digital weighing scale with a total worth of P2.4 million.
(ROEL T. AMAZONA)