Ten houses, mostly made of light materials, were gutted down in a fire incident in Las Navas, Northern Samar last April 30. (LAS NAVAS FIRE STATION)

ORMOC CITY– About 10 houses were turned to ashes from a fire caused by a gas leak at about 8:00 am on Tuesday (April 30) in Barangay San Isidro, Las Navas in Northern Samar.

Initial investigation conducted by the local fire investigator disclosed that the owner of the house, identified as “Peter” 36, a resident of Brgy. San Isidro, detected a gas leak while cooking, prompting him to move the stove towards the window.

However, the hose was detached from the gas tank resulting in the gas spreading into his house.

As a result, the fire erupted, engulfing his house and spreading to nine neighboring residences which were mostly made of light materials.

Locals conducted a “bayanihan” using water from a nearby river to douse off the fire .
The fire was controlled about 11: 20 am and was totally out about 12: 00 noon.

No one was reported injured from the fire whose estimated damage was pegged at about P1 million. (ROBERT DEJON)