23.5 C
Tacloban City
August 31, 2025 - Sunday | 9:08 PM
Home Blog Page 1763

Tacloban business owners seeks help from their counterparts in Manila, Cebu

0

TACLOBAN CITY – An “adopt a business” program has been pushed to help local micro small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) recover after suffering stunning losses wrought by supertyphoon Yolanda.
Oliver Cam, vice president and chief operating officer of Welcome Home Leyte Holdings Inc., said that some MSMEs have been directly seeking assistance from big businesses based in Manila, Cebu and other big cities to be to able to recover.
“The initial goal was for the small businesses to find a sort of a big brother based in highly urbanized cities. We will try to find a way to help them find access to capital, not just in terms of cash, but support from big companies who provide them inputs like fresh stocks,” Cam said.
Cam has no reports as to how many businesses adopted the approach since many of them directly deal with big businesses.
“Some of the big companies have been responsive like the Proctor and Gamble. They have outright consignment to about 100 stores in replenishing stocks,” he added.
The initiative is a component of a proposed database building for Tacloban-based enterprises. “That database is crucial because it shows basic profile, product and services information, and if they are open to partnership,” Cam said.
The Leyte Chamber of Commerce and Industry pushed for the establishment of business welfare help desk to be manned by the Department of Industry, city licensing office, and city treasurer’s office. The desk is tasked to gather basic information from local business owners.
The business sector tagged financing as the main concern of local businesses. Cam said that many shop owners were barred by lending firms to seek fresh loans given their existing unpaid obligations.
In the city’s business district, commercial spaces occupied by local MSMEs before the storm are now rented by the so called “ambulant vendors.” Among the major shops that have not yet resumed operations but allowed their spaces to be rented by vendors are the Highway Supermart and City Colorlab.
“Their means of income were wiped out. They’re still liable to pay loans. In order to avail new loans, it is quite impossible since second mortgage is not being applied in the Philippines,” Cam said.
He noted that many MSMEs have existing loans since they were motivated to expand due to improving local economy before the storm struck.
The current situation in the city’s business district reflects the magnitude of the disaster that even major shops – Gaisano, Mercury Drugstore, Mister Donut, Three-Sixty Pharmacy – are still closed four months after the catastrophe. These shops suffered losses from strong winds, storm surges, and looting incidents.
Citing reports from the city government, he said only more than 500 business have resumed operations as of last week, a small fraction of the more than 13,000 registered business last year. Some 1,500 applications are now on process.
City Vice Mayor Jerry Yaokasin said the city council approved a resolution extending the deadline for renewal of business permits to June 20, 2014 or five months later than the usual January 20 deadline.(SARWELL Q.MENIANO)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

”Los Bomberos” gives fire gears to fire stations in Leyte, Samar

0
Members of the “Los Bomberos” of the San Jose Fire “Station in Sa Jose, California, USA donates corrugated sheets to victims of supertyphoon Yolanda. Also in photo is An Waray party-list Rep. Neil Benedict Montejo. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)
Members of the “Los Bomberos” of the San Jose Fire “Station in Sa Jose, California, USA donates corrugated sheets to victims of supertyphoon Yolanda. Also in photo is An Waray party-list Rep. Neil Benedict Montejo. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)
Members of the “Los Bomberos” of the San Jose Fire “Station in Sa Jose, California, USA donates corrugated sheets to victims of supertyphoon Yolanda. Also in photo is An Waray party-list Rep. Neil Benedict Montejo. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)

TACLOBAN CITY- Three fire stations in Leyte and Samar received fire gears and medical supplies donated by the members of the Los Bomberos of the San Jose Fire Department in California, USA.
The donations of the fire equipment to the fire stations in Tanauan, Tacloban City and in Basey,Samar was made possible through the assistance of his brother-in-law, said Rep. Benedict Neil Montejo of the An Waray party-list group.
Rep. Montejo said the group of the “Los Bomberos” asked him on what possible assistance they could extend to their local colleagues hit by the typhoon.
Aside from giving the fire equipment, the group also donated corrugated sheets to the typhoon victims in Tacloban and in other towns in Leyte and Samar.
They also donated some medical supplies to the Carigara District Hospital and the Burauen District Hospital as well, Montejo said.
Rep. Montejo said that the “Los Bomberos” promised to return to Tacloban to extend more assistance. (LITO A. BAGUNAS)

FAO to continue to support Yolanda-affected farmers, DG da Silva said

0

BASEY, Samar- The director general of the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization (UN-FAO) visited this town on March 10 to assess the progress of the projects implemented for the recovery efforts of the Yolanda affected agricultural areas and the farmers and fishermen who were victims and were displaced by the calamity.
UN-FAO Director General Jose Graziano da Silva who was with the Department Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala distributed rice seeds, fertilizers and farming tools to the farmers.
During the press conference, Silva expressed his satisfaction with the recovery efforts and celebrated the success of the UN-FAO’s Yolanda response program and committed FAO’s supports on the recovery of the fishing and farming livelihoods in the longer term.
Silva said that FAO responded to the appeal of the national government for support to affected rice farmers.
He informed reporters that the recovery program efforts of his agency continues and at present UN-FAO is distributing 4,000 tons of fertilizers to more than 80, 000 families along with 13,000 farming tools on the Yolanda affected agricultural areas “which ensures planted rice seeds can reach full production potential and optimum yield, which in turn, ensures food security and full recovery of the farmers.”(RESTITUTO A. CAYUBIT)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

GSIS Offers Condonation Program For “Study Now, Pay Later,” “Fly PAL, Pay Later” accounts

0

The Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) recently opened a one-time condonation program for “Study Now, Pay Later” (SNPL) student-grantees and “Fly PAL, Pay Later” (FPPL) member-borrowers with outstanding accounts. The condonation program will run until July 24, 2014.
SNPL grantees (and their co-makers) and FPPL borrowers who will pay the outstanding balance in full will enjoy 100% condonation of all surcharges.
Under the condonation program, grantees and borrowers should pay in full their outstanding accounts within three months after they have submitted their application form for condonation. If the full amount is not settled within three months, program availees may resubmit their application form before July 24, 2014.
Loan interests, the GSIS said, will be computed up to the month of full payment.
SNPL is an educational program that was implemented in 1976. The program was in compliance with Presidential Decree No. 932, which specifies various schemes in the implementation of the SNPL.
This later evolved into the Educational Assistance Loan (EAL) approved in 1988; and in 1998, the program was amended by RA 8545, an act providing assistance to students and teachers in private education.
A similar credit facility for travel assistance was offered by the GSIS under the Fly PAL, Pay Later (FPPL) Program, which ran from 1978 to 1989.
All SNPL grantees and FPPL borrowers with outstanding accounts have been informed of the condonation program through a letter from the GSIS. Interested borrowers may visit the nearest GSIS branch office or call the contact center at 847-4747 for more details. (PR)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Basey fishermen receives motorized bancas from ABS-CBN Foundation

0
Motorized fishing bancas with fishing gears awarded to 53 fishermen of San Antonio, Basey, Samar on 26 March 2014 by Gina Lopez, managing director of ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya Foundation.
Motorized fishing bancas with fishing gears awarded to 53 fishermen of  San Antonio, Basey, Samar on 26 March 2014 by Gina Lopez, managing director of ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya Foundation.
Motorized fishing bancas with fishing gears awarded to 53 fishermen of San Antonio, Basey, Samar on 26 March 2014 by Gina Lopez, managing director of ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya Foundation.

BASEY,Samar – A total of 53 fishermen who are members of the San Antonio Fisherfolks Association, this town, were given motorized fishing bancas with fishing gears to restore their livelihood which they lost to supertyphoon Yolanda.
The motorized fishing bancas were awarded in simple rites at the shoreline of Barangay San Antonio. Rev. Fr. Rex M. Ibañez, priest In-charge of San Antonio de Padua Mission Center, blessed the motorized fishing bancas and fishing gears.
The fisherfolks were organized for a “bayanihan” system in boat building as well as in the fabrication of their fishing gears. On the other hand, ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya provided the design and specifications of the motorized fishing banca and all pre-cut boat materials, fishing gear supplies and engines. Boat makers of Rouvia Company from Mariveles, Bataan conducted hands-on training on boat building among the skilled fisherfolks. Bamboo for outriggers and floats were the counterpart of the local government.
The fisherfolks were then led to recite their pledge to engage in lawful fishing activities to support their families and never to engage in dynamite fishing and other illegal fishing methods by pledge to engage in lawful fishing activities to support their families and never to engage in dynamite fishing and other illegal fishing methods by Regina “Gina” Paz Lopez, managing director of ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya Foundation.
The event was attended by the bigwigs of ABS-CBN, Norie Garcia, program director of Bantay Kalikasan, Arch. Rozanno Rosal, FUAP, national president of the United Architects of the Philippines , John Brown from Australia and Mayor Igmedio Junji Ponferrada.
The motorized fishing bancas simultaneously went offshore to catch fish within the San Pedro Bay area fronting the barangay. About an hour after the formal launching, fisherman Eduardo Dacer brought to the convent of the San Antonio de Padua Mission Center the first catch of over a kilo of fresh fishes which he presented to lawyer Rey Delgado, ABS-CBN Sagip Kapamilya project coordinator for Samar.
The fresh catch elated Lopez and her companions who witnessed the fruition of their livelihood assistance.
The livelihood project for the fisherfolks was the first response to the devastated people of San Antonio who were hardly hit by the super typhoon Yolanda which devastated the entire barangay and all forms of livelihood and economic activities.
The livelihood project is now expanding its boat making and fishing gear fabrication activities following community organizing and values formation in barangays San Fernando, Basiao, Catadman, Balud, Anglit, Sugca, Iba, Salvacion, Loyo, and Baybay. Thereafter, the project will continue in barangays Palaypay, Canmanila, Bacubac and Tingib, all of the municipality of Basey in Samar province. (AL ELLEMA)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Government agencies form convergence to help Yolanda victims

0

GOVERNMENT CENTER, PALO, Leyte- The departments of labor and employment, agriculture and science and technology and trade and industry have partnered to help victims of the supertyphoon Yolanda.
The convergence of these government offices is in line with the policy of President Aquino to ensure a fast and better delivery of services to the people, said Regional Director Exequiel Sarcauga of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
Aside from the DOLE, the Departments of Agriculture, Science and Technology and Trade and Industry, the Visayas State University is also part of the convergence.
Sarcauga explained that the convergence program was crafted by the national government to help address the rehabilitation and reconstruction efforts in all Yolanda- affected areas.
“If you try to take a look at it, one of the functions of the DOLE is to provide livelihood assistance to both the formal and informal sector. However the livelihood projects of these sectors can be more sustainable if it is prepared in such a way that it becomes viable and feasible” the DOLE director said.
Sarcauga believed that the livelihood projects needs the interventions for them to be sustained.
The convergence is focused in three important things- first, it should be technology driven; second, it should be resource based and third, it should be sustainable.
Under the scheme, the DOST would provide the needed technology with the DOLE providing the needed funding and tools, among others.
The DA would help identify the market and raw materials, Sarcauga said. (LIZBETH ANN ABELLA)

LSDElogoDEFAULT

Recent Posts

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

ALMA GRAFIL
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

ROMEO CEBREROS
OFFICE IN-CHARGE

OFFICE
BRGY. SONGCO, BORONGAN CITY

CONTACT NUMBERS
(055) 261 – 3319 | 0955 251 1533 | 0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

DALMACIO C. GRAFIL
PUBLISHER

RICKY J. BAUTISTA
EDITOR

ALMA GRAFIL
BUS. MANAGER

OFFICE
RIZAL AVENUE, CATBALOGAN
(INFRONT OF FIRE DEPARTMENT, NEAR CITY HALL)

CONTACT NUMBERS
0917 771 0320 | 0915 897 7439 | 0921 511 0010

EMAIL
lsdaily2@yahoo.com

WEBSITE
www.issuu.com/samarweeklyexpress